Saturday, October 6, 2012

Review: Raven by Allison Van Diepen

Title/Author: Raven, Allison Van Diepen

Publication Date: February 10 2009

Publisher: Simon Pulse

Source: My library

Rating: 2/5 Souls

To tell you the truth, I never would have picked up or even looked at this book if it was regular priced. The title turns me off. Looking at the picture right now is making me grimace. But this book was on the bargain shelf at Chapters for 4 dollars, and I pick up every book on that shelf looking for deals. 

Zin dances with fire in every step, speaks in a honey-sweet voice, and sees with eyes that can peer into your soul. Nicole's friendship with him is the only thing that saves her from the boredom of school and the turmoil of her family life. It's no wonder she is madly in love with him. But she can't understand why he keeps her at a distance, even though she can feel his soul reaching out for hers. Zin is like no man Nicole has ever met, and he carries with him a very old secret. When Nicole uncovers the truth, her love may be the only thing that can save him from it.

The summary was ok, which means it didn't have me putting it back on the shelf with disgust and rolling my eyes while walking away. So for 4 dollars, I bought it.

To tell you more truth, this book annoyed me in more ways then it made me go 'wow'. To start off, the main character, Nic, whose point of view the book was in, irritated me. I can't even place my finger on why she irritated me, she just did. But Zin, I liked Zin. But I always fall for the guy you can't have. Zin was that guy that you want to get to know, but he's shrouded in mystery, which just draws you in more. All the other characters you didn't get to know really well except for Carlo's. I found him really creepy and thought that he was a murderer the whole book.

Now the plot was ok, it wasn't really memorable in any way. And half way during the book I felt like I was reading bits and pieces of Twilight (I love twilight) which to me made it even less unique then it was turning out not to be (does that even make sense?) I got bored after 6 chapters in and had to force myself to read the rest. To put it bluntly, in my eyes nothing remotely interesting happened until the last 4 or 5 chapters of Raven. But even then it was like 'who didn't see this coming?'. 

I didn't like this book because I couldn't relate to it. Which means I couldn't connect with the characters, which then means i don't feel anything while reading it. All great/awesome/amazing/super mind-blowing books make you feel emotions, like they are from your real life. This book didn't do it for me. I only gave Raven a 2/5 because I'm hopelessly romantic. Yes this book was not up to my par but I still enjoyed the romance. Some what... I would not encourage you to buy it. If you MUST read it though, borrow it.

Because I was so bored thoughts were constantly flowing through my mind. Here are some of my favourites:
- When the hell did zombies enter this book?
- Am I reading Twilight??
- What do ravens have to do with this book? (And just to point it out, ravens have almost nothing to do with the plot, it really kind of annoys me that the book is named Raven)
- Slap him!!
- What would happen if the girl from the exorcist came out of the room?
- Kim Possible!?! No way!!

Like always, if you hated Raven or loved it don't me afraid to email me. Actually, email me about anything, I have an opinion on everything. I hope you enjoyed this review because I didn't enjoy reading the book.
-Meg ;)

P.S. My light is turning off and on by itself and my door just slammed shut by itself and I'm still thinking about the Exorcist... Not a good a good combination... 

No comments:

Post a Comment